Delta Realty’s Menlo Pinnacles Obtains a Four Star Green Star Rating
Delta Reality, with Delta Built Environment Consultants (Delta BEC) as its Green Star consultants, successfully obtained a four star design rating for its Menlo Pinnacles development from the Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA).
Delta Realty and Delta BEC recently embarked on a project to obtain a Green Star certification for the Menlo Pinnacles development. Menlo Pinnacles is a three-storey residential building that contains 10 sectional title units as well as accommodating structures and facilities in Menlo Park, Pretoria. The development boasts several designed sustainable building features, including:
- All apartments achieving operative temperatures for >85% of occupied hours
- Demonstrating a 73% improvement in HVAC and GHG emissions over notional building
- Effective energy and water sub-metering, monitoring, and reporting
- Luminous efficacy of 85 lm/W (internal) and 70 lm/W (external)
- Only making use of solar and gas heating
- An 18.6 KWp solar PV system with emission reduction at 57 kg CO2e/m²/year
- Rainwater harvesting for flushing toilets (54% demand reduction) and irrigation (53% demand reduction)
- Efficient water fittings which reduce water consumption by 35%
- Three Green Star Accredited professionals active on the project
- Having an environmental management programme (EMPr) compiled for monitoring during construction
- Having the contractor implement a waste management plan (WMP) during constructing
- Having a hazardous materials survey conducted and safely removing applicable materials
- 5 parking bays for mopeds, scooters and motorbikes
- 16 secure bicycle storage spaces
- The redevelopment of land within the Municipal Urban Edge
- On-site stormwater attenuation with similar runoff to the street as pre-development
- A 92% reduction in virgin materials being used for the face brick
- Supplying A+ energy rating appliances and exceeding GBCSA potable water efficiency requirements
- 100% of the topsoil remaining on site during construction and 79% being reused thereafter
- Passive, electronic, and manual methods for ventilation—natural cross, background and bathroom and kitchen extract ventilation.
As a result, Menlo Pinnacles achieved a four star design rating, making it the first Multi-Unit Residential v1 certification in Gauteng, with only three others of its kind being successfully certified in Africa to date (as per the GBCSA project directory). The certification recognises the development for demonstrating a commitment to environmental sustainability of designing a building that is deemed best practice in terms of the given standards and benchmarks.
For more information on the Menlo Pinnacles design rating, contact Hennie Meyer on 082 496 3946 or at email@example.com.